Forged Letter Opener














To begin the letter opener process I cut off 7 1/2" of 1/4" mild steel square stock.



















Then I take it to the flypress to emboss lines that will be twisted.















Here's what the part looks like after embossing lines with the flypress.




Now the part is put in the gas forge and heated.




This is what the metal looks like as I start forging the blade.



After several reheats in the forge and a lot of hammering the blade is finished.



Then I clamp the part in a vice and heat the embossed lines and twist them.


I forge the handel end to a point and then I use this tool to create square beads between the twists.


After all the twisting and beading the part needs to be straightened so I use a wood block and mallet so I don't damage the sruface.


To finish the letter opner I use a patina to darken the metal then dip it in hot bees wax.


I know, I know, hurry up and finish allready. Well here it is! Like fine wine, good things take time.
This is a wedding gift for some friends who wrote letters to one another while courting.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful, tim! i love seeing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm really enjoying seeing your work. well done!

    ReplyDelete