English Style Garden Gate


















Well here we go. I start with my client approved design, measurements from the location and a blank floor as my canvas.


I make a full scale drawing of the design to guide me as I forge and weld. It also allows me to catch design mistakes before I make them on the real thing. The Devil is in the details.

  
I like to have the client stop by the studio to see the full scale drawing and to get a feel for the scale and proportion of the gate. It also gives me an opportunity to discuss material sizes and any changes I might need to make and get their approval.


As I make progress on the framework, I mentally start working on the forged details. 


 
The flowers will be made of 16 gage mild steel. I rough them out with my band saw and grid them to finished shape.


I had to make a bottom die to crease the front of the flower.


Then I had to make another bottom die to crease the back of the flower.


Now the flower goes in the forge. Just looking at this gets me excited.

Again I stoped to make more tooling. This tooling pushes the flower into into its basic shape.

I know what you’re thinking. Does it really take all this effort just to make one flower? No, it takes more. More hammering, more shaping, and more fun.

2 comments:

  1. The red hot flower is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, Tim! It's so cool to see the process and progress.
    I like the plant stand design very much! Those gentle curves on the legs-- gives me an idea for our gate! And the letter opener... lovely!

    ReplyDelete